Jeffrey Steven "Steve" Burns has been with the Greene County Sheriff's Department for 37 years and 16 years as Sheriff.
He is married to Glennis Bible Burns, who has been employed at The Medical Group of Greeneville for 28 years. They will celebrate their 43rd wedding anniversary in July.
Steve and Glennis have two children and a grandson.
Their son, Major Jay Burns, is a graduate of the University of Tennessee and the UT School of Law. He is presently serving as a J.A.G officer in the US Army. He is married to Laura Judd Burns. The couple will reside in Fort Leonard, Missourii in June.
Their daughter Lauren Burns Hopson is working on her eighth year as an employee of Foward Air. She is married to Ryan Hopson. They reside in Greeneville with their son, Holden Jeffery Hopson.
Sheriff Burns served as President of the Tennessee Sheriff's Association 2010-2011, after many years of serving as it's Director and Vice President for division I. He curently sits on its' board as past President.
Sheriff Burns is also Co-Chairman of the Tennessee Sheriff's Association Legislative Committee.
Sheriff Burns was selected as the 2011 Tennessee Sheriff of the year.
He is currently serving as or has served as a member of:
- Robinette Primitive Baptist Church
- Greene County Insurance Committee
- Courthouse Workhouse Committee
- Greene County Law Enforcement Committee
- Local Emergency Planning Committee
- Greene county 911 Board
- Greene County Red Cross
- Greeneville Moose Lodge
- Keep Greene Beautiful
- Greene County Rescue Squad
- Greene County Promise
- Member of the National Rifle Association
- Romeo Ruritan, Past President
- Mosheim Masonic Lodge
- Kerbela Temple Shriners
- Greeneville Exchange Club
- Chairman Greeneville-Greene County Drug Commission
- State Committee to reduce rising cost in jails
- Tennessee Sheriff's Association Legislative Committee
- Represents all Sheriffs on the Board of Homeland Security District
- Member, Board of Trustees, Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System
- Chairman of the Board of Directors - Third Judicial District Drug Task Force
- Member of the National Sheriff's Association
- Represents all Sheriffs in Eight Upper East Tennessee Counties for Homeland Security
- Awarded the State Homeland Security Directors Award for leading the way in inter-operable communications across the State of Tennessee
- Past Chairman of the Upper East Tennessee Law Enforcement Executive Council.