Jeffery Steven "Steve" Burns has been an employee of the Greene County Sheriff's Department for 34 years.
He is married to Glennis Bible Burns, who has been employed at The Medical group of Greeneville for 25 years.
They have two children. their son, captain Jay Burns, is a graduate of the University of Tennessee and the UT School of Law. He is presently serving as a J.A.G officer in the US Army stationed at Ft. Campbell, Kentucky. their daughter, Lauren, is a graduate from Greeneville High School. She is currently employed as a credit analyst at Forward Air of Greeneville.
Sheriff Burns served as the Division I President of the Board of Directors for the Tennessee Sheriff's Association 2010-2211 and is currently serving as a member of the board of directors.
He is currently serving as an active member of:
- Robinette Primitive Baptist Church
- Greene County Insurance Committee
- Courthouse Workhouse Committee
- Greene County Law Enforcement Committee
- Local Emergency Planning Committee
- Greene county 911 Board
- Greene County Red Cross
- Greeneville Moose Lodge
- Keep Greene Beautiful
- Greene County Rescue Squad
- Greene County Promise
- Member of the National Rifle Association
- Romeo Ruritan, Past President
- Mosheim Masonic Lodge
- Kerbela Temple Shriners
- Greeneville Exchange Club
- Chairman Greeneville-Greene County Drug Commission
- State Committee to reduce rising cost in jails
- Tennessee Sheriff's Association Legislative Committee
- Represents all Sheriffs on the Board of Homeland Security District
- Member, Board of Trustees, Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System
- Chairman of the Board of Directors - Third Judicial District Drug Task Force
- Member of the National Sheriff's Association
- Represents all Sheriffs in Eight Upper East Tennessee Counties for Homeland Security
- Awarded the State Homeland Security Directors Award for leading the way in inter-operable communications across the State of Tennessee
- Past Chairman of the Upper East Tennessee Law Enforcement Executive Council